Friday, December 24, 2010

New Eyes

Christmas Eve and all is quiet. Too quiet, if you ask me. With all my children grown and gone there are no kids, no wrapping paper scattered around, no dirty dishes in the sink, no voices downstairs playing video games and no traditional sticky spaghetti for dinner. Life is an ever changing canvas, isn't it?
The other day I was shooting portraits of my granddaughter - she's a bouncing, laughing, always in motion little girl of 26 months. Smart as a whip and a lot of fun to try to lasso down for some photos. I found myself fuming as I snapped frame after frame of her, trying to catch her at rest - to freeze her in that moment. I finally said in a stern voice, "Look at me WITH YOUR EYES, Alex." This is what I got. Okay, not what I thought I asked for but you have admit pretty darn funny. It wasn't until tonight that I realized how much her reaction to my request is how I should look at the changes in my family and life.
So what if the holidays and life in general are different now? It is how you perceive it that makes it okay or not okay. Alex heard me say something about looking at her eyes, so she pointed to them! I say I want my holidays to be loud, full of my kids and family with messy paper and ribbon all around. Well, its probably never going to be that way again so I should listen to what I really mean. I want the feeling that goes with all those things. I want to hear their voices and know they are happy and safe. That is do-able no matter where in the world they are on a particular day. I just have to remember to smile and pick up the phone or turn on the web cam. And, oh yeah, I can always make sticky spaghetti - it's my specialty...Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment